“During the cold weather, please be aware of the severe toxic effects AntiFreeze has on pets!”

Back to Top

Antifreeze

Antifreeze KILLS pets!!

Published: Saturday 21 January, 2017 Category: Health & Wellbeing

During the cold weather, please be aware of the severe toxic effects AntiFreeze has on pets!

ETHYLENE GLYCOL (Antifreeze)

ETHYLENE GLYCOL is found in most commercial antifreeze preparations; ETHYLENE GLYCOL tastes SWEET; ETHYLENE GLYCOL is the most common toxicity seen in small animals because of its SWEET TASTE.

Only 6 ml of antifreeze will cause LETHAL poisoning in a 4 kg cat!

Symptoms start showing 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion and include increased thirst, depression and sometimes seizures.

PREVENTIVE MEASURES:

  • Clean up spills immediately
  • Check car regularly for leaks
  • Store antifreeze containers sealed and clearly marked in areas inacessible for pets
  • Don’t allow pets to have access to an area where radiator fluid is drained from car

If you suspect your pet has been exposed, call the surgery immediately. Early treatment, ideally within 1 hour of ingestion, will be life saving!!!


Similar News RSS Feeds

In House MRI now available!

Festive Warnings

Leptospirosis

Take care in the hot weather!

Pet Chicken Keepers: Red Mite Alert!!!

News Categories

Opening Hours

Monday: 08:30 - 18:00

Tuesday: 08:30 - 18:00

Wednesday: 08:30 - 18:00

Thursday: 08:30 - 18:00

Friday: 08:30 - 18:00

Saturday: 08:30 - 13:00

Sunday: Closed

+ 24 Hour Emergency Vets Service - 365 days a year

Practice Locations

Socialise with us!

At Jersey Village Vets Ltd we love social interaction! Click on our social buttons and share your love for us...