Pet travel to Europe from 01.01.2021

From 1 January 2021 onward, the UK will have Part 2 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme, meaning that people traveling from Great Britain with their pets and assistance dogs will need to follow new requirements in order to travel to the EU and Northern Ireland.

EU pet passports issued by GB Official Veterinarians will NO LONGER be valid to travel to Europe (EU) or Northern Ireland (NI).

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021 you will need to take the following steps.

These steps are similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, but you will need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.

2. Vaccinate your dog, cat or ferret against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.

3. Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.

4. Visit your vet to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.

As long as you keep your pet’s rabies vaccinations up to date, you will not need to get repeat vaccinations for repeat trips to the EU or NI.

Getting an animal health certificate (AHC)

You must take your pet to your vet no more than 10 days before travel.

The AHC is signed by an official vet. Most of our vets are qualified to issue the certificates, but please check when you book your appointment.

You must take proof of:

* your pet’s microchipping date

* your pet’s vaccination history

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

* 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI

* onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue

* re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

For further information please click on the link below: