During the cold weather, please be aware of the severe toxic effects AntiFreeze has on pets!
ETHYLENE GLYCOL (ANTIFREEZE)
ETHYLENE GLYCOL is found in most commercial antifreeze preparations; ETHYLENE GLYCOL tastes SWEET; ETHYLENE GLYCOL is the most common toxicity seen in small animals because of its SWEET TASTE.
Only 6 ml of antifreeze will cause LETHAL poisoning in a 4 kg cat!
Symptoms start showing 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion and include increased thirst, depression and sometimes seizures.
- Clean up spills immediately
- Check car regularly for leaks
- Store antifreeze containers sealed and clearly marked in areas inacessible for pets
- Don’t allow pets to have access to an area where radiator fluid is drained from car
If you suspect your pet has been exposed, call the surgery immediately. Early treatment, ideally within 1 hour of ingestion, will be life saving!!!